Re: virtual images and convex lenses

From: Bernard Cleyet <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>

In the above, the image plane is in the same place as way above. Try
this:
(reverse of the first time) place your eye as in your 2. interpose the
screen
(translucent) move it (along the optical axis) 'till you see the image
on (in)
the screen.

Thanks for the help.

I know that a real image is still formed some distance away from the lens,
but I am wondering about the image I can see _in_ the lens. That is, I can
see an upside down crystal clear image through the lens. Is this a real
image? Apparently not since it appears to be on the other side of the glass.
What causes this?

I don't have a copy of the book you are refering to, but I do have Hecht's
Optics. He doesn't seem to address this issue.

Same with the other situation. I know that I can see the real image in a
darkened room, why can't I see it superimposed on the background in a lit
room? I suppose it is washed out against the background? Why does a screen
help? Does it force my eyes to focus on the right plane? Maybe a manual
focus camera will make the situation more obvious.

Tim