Re: Earth's rotational speed

I would like to add an addendum to the previous objection. The explanation
of the tide near the moon is actually wrong. If you only say the moon pulls
and does not say that the acceleration of the water nearer the moon is
greater than the acceleration of the whole earth, then there is not
mechanism for the tides. The fact that the water can move and change shape
while the earth is more rigid, does not explain the tides by itself. It is
the gradient of the gravitational force and not the force itself that
produces the tides.

With all the misinformation being given by reputable sources it is no wonder
that students have misconceptions. One that I noticed was perpetrated by
the Magic School Bus program. It said that power was the same thing as
energy. When I pointed out to my family they said that did not matter as it
is intended for little kids. OK, but they could have just said that power
tells you how much energy you get every second. While that idea is complex,
it at least does not say they are the same. The only consolation that I
have is that students will probably forget over 90% of the ideas that had
been presented in the show and that since this boner was not emphasized it
may be forgotten quickly.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX