Earth's rotational speed

I have been aware that the earth's speed about the sun varies as we travel
on our elliptical path. However, I have read that the earth's rotational
speed varies though the year. Would someone be so kind as to explain this
change in omega and also explain the implications on L and the conservation
of angular momentum.
Perhaps this will prompt a return to things of physics rather than
government.
Then a last barb on the much ballyhooed tax "rebate." A quote:"Sometimes I
wonder if the world is being run by smart people putting us on or by
imbeciles who really mean it."

Too much of a good thing is wonderful!