Re: An eyes exam

Stereoscopic fusion is successful only within certain defined limits
(size, displacement, brightness, etc.). [Appl. Optics. Pp. 357 and
419-426] As binoc. resolution improvement is similarly limited, they
both, probably, result from the same mechanism.

bc

The optic nerves "fuse" in the optic chiasma. Cutting the chiasma may
answer some questions.

Hugh Haskell wrote:

Whatever the effect is, and John Clement's suggested explanation
makes sense to me, It doesn't work if your eyes are significantly
different. My left eye is 20-/40 but correctable to 20/20, my right
eye is off the charts and barely correctable to on the charts with
glasses. Essesntialy useless. Although I see more or less normally
with both eyes open, if I need to see something really clearly, I
have to close my right eye--in other words, my binocular vision is
not as good as my good eye. Along with this disparity in my eyes has
gone my depth perception, and so I have had to give up flying, alas.

Hugh