Re: science for all?

1. How did 1 SD get to be "very large"? And 1 SD of what? Usually in
educational circles people seem to quote the change in the mean of a
group. 1 SD means about a 30% chance that the change was a random
fluctuation. The physicists I know usually insist on 4 SD as the
threshold for evidence of a new effect. Also, these statistical measures
can be utterly misleading if one does not know the distributions.

2. Much more interesting than the improvement at the end of a course
would be the results of testing after a summer, or even a semester, break.
My experience is that the apparent "improvements" dissipate very rapidly.

Regards,
Jack