Re: extra credit, GPA, etc.

Another $/50:
My course grade includes a lab component (~40%). All of our labs
are done in teams of three students with the lab report written by one
member on a rotating basis. Since the team gets the grade, I have used
extra credit in the form of another lab to allow students to make up for a
bad lab grade. Partly this was to quiet the howls from students whose
grades sank as the result of one team member. Partly this is from my own
experience. When a researcher has a bad day in the lab (and we all do), the
researcher does more work.
The extra credit lab is done on their own time by teams (max: three
students) of their own choosing from a list of supplemental labs that I
provide. They are not any more cookbook then the typical lab and require
the same write-up as the scheduled ones. The labs are typically the labs I
wanted to do but couldn't fit into the time constraints of the course. There
is no extra credit for the rest of the individual grade of tests, quizzes
and joint projects.

THO

Thomas O'Neill
o'neill@csvrgs.k12.va.us
Physics
oneill@csvrgs.k12.va.us
C Shenandoah Valley R Governor's School 540.245.5088