Re: extra credit, GPA, etc.

What's wrong with laying out the expectations for the course and then
'requiring' the same work from all students? I have no problem with using
projects and papers along with the labs, homework, quizzes, and tests; but
if these are really useful, then assign them to everybody.

True extra credit (extra work), used to supplement the educational
experience of the interested and talented students is not the problem--since
these are already the A students. In my experience however, students see
extra credit as a way to 'fix' their grade after poor performance on the
regularly assigned work. Used in this mode, extra credit IS, IMO, a real
disservice to the students.

As to the administrative/parental pressures, I would advise that the
national and local teacher unions might make it a priority to campaign
against GRADE INFLATION since it has the net effect of devaluing truly good
work and ultimately the whole educational process.

My $.02

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
NEW: Photo Realistic Laboratory Simulations