From: "Bob Sciamanda" <trebor@VELOCITY.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: Magnetic N and S poles

In paragraph 373 of Maxwell's "A Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism
":

"The ends of a long thin magnet are commonly called its Poles. . . .
Coulomb . . . succeeded in establishing the law of force between two
like
magnetic poles : ' The repulsion between two like magnetic poles is in
the
straight line joining them, and is numerically equal to the product of
their strengths of the poles divided by the square of the distance
between
them.' . . ." He goes on to define the unit pole strength, etc.

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)