Re: - C14 Decay rates

You means its an effect associated with the thermodynamic definition
of 'heat' that is troubling Jim? <smile>

Brian W

At 01:23 AM 12/11/01, you wrote:
I expect the diffusion rate (as someone else has already stated) to be the
sqrt(%diff), therefore, 4e-4, not 2e-2.

also reported here? and an experiment done in every HS: cottons soaked in
(each) HCl and NH3 (aq) -- place in the ends of a glass (perspex) tube -- the
point where they meet is marked by a white cloud of NH4Cl
the distance is inverse sqrt (molec. wt.) ratio.

(Graham's law)

bc

P.s. 1/6000 water is D2O

Jim Green wrote:

> >If you perform electrolysis on a liter of tap water, by time you get
> >down to 35 mL remaining you theoretically should have nearly pure H-2
> >H20 (or D2O). It should have a mass substantially greater than 35
> >grams;
>
> This is an interesting statement: Does this mean that tap water is 3.5%
> D2O by volume??? It must be late at night and I am missing something.
>
> >Yes, any chemical reaction is going to preferentially yield
> >light-isotope products to some degree. However, the effect is only
> >dramatically substantial in the case of hydrogen.
>
> I am mystified: "any chemical reaction" ??? Why should "any chemical
> reaction" be preferential to lower atm wt? The rate of reaction of D2 + O2
> is slower than H2 + O2? How about Fe? Does Fe56 rust faster than
> Fe58? And leaves a coat of what on the surface?
>
> U238 _diffuses_ differently from U235 -- Initially that is how it was
> separated. But oxidize differently?
>
> >If that is true, then C-12 CO2 is going to react about 2% (1.02 times)
> >faster than C-14 CO2.
>
> I don't understand the calculation here.
>
> I thought that it was said that "the effect is only dramatically
> substantial in the case of hydrogen."
>
> Can someone please tutor me a bit here.
>
> Jim Green
> mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com