Re: Historical material

> From: "Carl Gaither" <cgaither@N-LINK.COM>
> To: <
PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
> Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 12:51 PM
> Subject: Historical material
Hello everyone,

Carl has inspired some thoughts about how I learned the small amount of science history that I have learned:

I would like to mention biographers of scientists, especially Muriel R., where R stands for a last name that looks like Rukeyser to me; but, in any case, looks like the last name of that person who talks about how to get as much money as you possibly can and interviews others similarly afflicted -- usually *before* they commit suicide. (After they take their obsessions with money to the conclusion (suicide) predicted by Dirkheim, their interviews are a little too "stiff".)  She wrote good biographies of Gibbs, Hilbert, and maybe some others whose lives are inspiring to read about, provided one does not forget to lead one's *own* life.  Biography is history with a unifying hero, which I like better than history even if it be not so accurate.

And, what about the two autobiographies by R. Feynman who probably was not so promiscuous as he would like us to believe.   I would have played drums with him if he were not on a professional trip.   ("That damn prize.")   One learns a lot of the recent history of science from Feynman.

Regards / T.