Re: - C14 Decay rates

Jim Green wrote:
This is a migration from another list:
It is well known that the rates of chemical reactions are different for
different isotopes.

Yes.

The most dramatic physical application of that phenomenon might be the
separation of "heavy water" from "light water" by electrolysis. H-1 H20
molecules are broken 1000-2000% (10-20 times) faster than H-2 H20
molecules, so protium oxide molecules are preferentially decomposed by
electrolyis, leaving the remaining water enriched with deuterium oxide.
If you perform electrolysis on a liter of tap water, by time you get
down to 35 mL remaining you theoretically should have nearly pure H-2
H20 (or D2O). It should have a mass substantially greater than 35
grams; if you freeze it, the resulting ice cube should sink in ordinary
water. But I digress.

Yes, any chemical reaction is going to preferentially yield
light-isotope products to some degree. However, the effect is only
dramatically substantial in the case of hydrogen.

This means that a chemical reaction which continues over
thousands of years, for instance the autoxidation of glucose, could result
in the preferential loss of C12O2 to the atmosphere relative to the loss of
C14O2.

Does this list agree?

I read or heard somewhere that the ratio of reaction rates is, roughly,
inversely proportional to the square root of the ratio of masses. That
exists only as a penciled margin note in my ancient copy of Sienko &
Plane, so I can't claim a credentialed source for that relationship.

If that is true, then C-12 CO2 is going to react about 2% (1.02 times)
faster than C-14 CO2. So, yes, I don't have any doubt that this is
going to cause a slight preference for the production C-12 CO2 and is
going to accumulate a slightly increased C-14 concentration in the
source of the glucose.

However, it seems to me that the higher proportion of C-12 CO2 given off
by the oxidation of glucose is going to be offset by the equally higher
proportion of C-12 CO2 in the photosynthetic uptake which forms glucose
in the first place. This is a fact that will have to be taken into
consideration in any *interpretation* of the preferential loss statement
you quoted.

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright <exit60@cablespeed.com>