Re: North again

Thanks for the last sentence. But the first is not clear. I do not
recognize a place which may create a "misleading impression
of the history." What gave you this impression, John?
Ludwik Kowalski

"John S. Denker" wrote:

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Here is a quote from William Gilbert (1600): "Over-inquisitive
theologians, too, seek to light up God's mysteries and things
beyond man's understanding by means of the loadstone as a
sort of Delphic sward and as an illustration of all sort of things."
Loadstone is a north-seeking magnet, presumably recognizing
this special direction. While philosophers speculated some
unknown inventors found practical ways of using the mystery
phenomenon for navigational purposes.

With all respect to Gilbert, this gives a misleading
impression of the history.

According to Needham, compasses have been used for
divination for over 2000 years. They have been used
for navigation for over 1000 years. The invention
was transmitted from China to Europe over 900 years
ago.

The concept of "north" is quite a bit older than that.
In China and Egypt there are 5000-year-old structures
aligned north-south. And I rather doubt that "north"
was a new idea even then. Ancient people weren't stupid.

The preferred spelling these days is "lodestone".