Re: A new paradigm?

Yes, my article begins the same way but the title is as
I indicated. It starts on page 1 but most of it is on
page 5. It occupies 1/2 of page 5, including pictures
of three physicists: Zhang, Laughlin and Pines.
Ludwik Kowalski

Larry Cartwright wrote:

I don't get the woodpulp edition of the NY Times. I think I've found
the article you're describing, but the title doesn't match. =20

The online edition has a George Johnson article entitled "Challenging
Particle Physics as Path to Truth" at
<http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/04/science/physical/04SQUA.html> whic=
begins "In science's great chain of being, the particle physicists pl=
ace
themselves with the angels, looking down from the heavenly spheres on
the chemists, biologists, geologists, meteorologists =97 those who ar=
applying, not discovering, nature's most fundamental laws. Everything=
,
after all, is made from subatomic particles. Once you have a concise
theory explaining how they work, the rest should just be filigree."

Is this the article you're talking about?

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright <exit60@cablespeed.com>
Retired (June 2001) Physics Teacher
Charlotte MI 48813 USA=20

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
=20
An interesting article by George Johnson in The New York
Times today (December 4, 2001, Science Times section,
page F1). The title is "New Contenders For a Theory of
Everything." A clash between particle physicists and
solid state physicists? Worth reading.