Physics and Basketball :-)

3 times now I have received the same unsolicited invitation to join
another "physics" listserv, why I do not know. Perhaps some of you
received this invitation also? I present the invitation and its rather
bizarre prospectus, without further comment, following my sig.

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright <exit60@cablespeed.com>
Retired (June 2001) Physics Teacher
Charlotte MI 48813 USA

Hello Basketball Coach/Fan,

You are invited to join the Basketball-Science List. This list is to
promote greater use of science in basketball performance analysis.
Performance, in all forms, is measurable. Measured values give the most
accurate results, humanly possible. Here is an example:

BASKETBALL WORK(BWRK)

We can define a new unit [basketball-work(BW)] and use it to measure and
compare baasketball performance. In keeping with the norms of the
Scientific Method, we need to first make an hypothesis. While the
calories expended must have been different, we can assume that each
individual category record took 100BW. Thus, for the NBA:

100 PTS = 100 BW;

30 AST = 100 BW;

55 REB = 100 BW;

11 STL = 100 BW;

14 TO = -100 BW;

17 BLK = 100 BW

This gives approximate values:

PTS = BW; AST = 3 BW; REB = 2 BW, etc.

Thus:

X = 12 PTS + 4 AST + 6 REB = 36 BW;

y = 2X = 24 PTS + 8 AST + 12 REB = 72 BW;

Z = x/2 = 6 PTS + 2 AST + 3 REB = 18 BW

We can thus compare the performances in terms of BW. So,

V = 23 PTS + 2 AST + 4 REB - 2 TO + 2 STL + 3 BLK
= 23 + 6 + 8 - 14 + 18 + 18 = 59 BW

Thus, V - X = 23 BW. It most likely took different amounts of calories,
but with respect to the game, only BW matters.

This is the power and beauty of physics in action. This simple
information system is scientifically correct, and allows us to compare
players and teams of all eras. This shows that the Lakers(with Kobe and
Shaq) is one of the best teams in NBA history, and should win the title
this season, too. The BWRK and BPWR of all the players and teams
currently playing.

BASKETBALL PWER(BPWR)

Power = Work Done/Time Taken;

We can define basketball power as:

BPWR = BWRK/ Minutes..... (1)

with BWRK and BPWR we can accurately explain and predict basketball
performance, make trades, substitutions, etc.

Join this list to get the models in ebook form, so you can calculate
BPWR and BWRK by a single mouse click. This is just two of the numerous
tools applied-physics brings to basketball.

HOW TO JOIN:

To join, send a blank email to:

Basketball-Science-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Best Regards,