Re: Density of water.

Hello all, this thread reminds me of a sci-fi short
story I read where someone invented a catalysis that
prevented the 4 degree C expansion of water. As the
story goes the stuff was used widely and over the
years accumulated in the oceans. Some other things
happened to amplify the catalyst (I don't recall), but
suddenly ice bergs started to sink instead of float.
The Great Lakes became blocks of ice with a layer of
meltwater on top. The oceans went the same way.
Weather as we know it didn't work any more. Everybody
died.

I think this property of water may be a good thing.

Regards,
Matt Jusinski, Morris Knolls HS, Rockaway, NJ

devastating to temperate (and artic) zone aquatic
life and therefore to the
diversity of aquatic life, but unless one can cite
evidence of sustained sub

gradient, and a circulation, so that icing would
be postponed perhaps
banished from significant bodies of water....

This does not seem specially lethal to life,
when I consider the life that
thrives
in sulphide springs at great depths.