History of Science Texts: Formerly - Historical material

Mike Smith asked:

What reading lists or texts do you use for your history of science classes?

I don't get to specify the texts (I'm a part-time instructor still working
full time in industry). I can state, though, that a suitable text or texts
has been a problem we are still trying to adequately solve. At our
community college, for a one semester course, we currently use M. Wertheim,
"Pythagoras' Trousers", W.W. Norton & Co., 1995. In my opinion, this text
concentrates too much on the problems women have faced in science and not
enough on the science itself. We are planning to change texts next fall.
Because Wertheim discusses only physics and astronomy, we also use (to
represent the life sciences and evolution theory), S.J. Gould, "Hen's Teeth
and Horse's Toes", W.W. Norton, 1983. This is a well written and
interesting book (I tend to like Gould's books), although a little dated
now. Two years ago, we tried using D.R. Brody and A.R. Brody, "The Science
Class You Wish You Had, Perigee, 1997. We found this book overly simplistic
in both its approach and its science.

At the other end of the spectrum, as an alumnus, I did inquire at Harvard
what they were using. Their history of science courses are based on an
extensive list of readings distributed in "reading folders". Some of the
readings are from the works of the original scientists. In the community
college environment, and for a typical community college non-science major
student taking our course, this approach is impractical.

I would be most interested in hearing from the rest of the group if they
have found satisfactory texts which are suitable at the community college
level. The time to recommend fall textbooks is fast approaching!

Don Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corp.