Re: history question

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Larry Smith
wrote:

When did physics stop getting called natural philosophy and start getting
called physics?

Joseph Bellina wrote:

I think it was mid 19th century as models turned from German naturalism
to more mechanistic models. I think it all correllated with the
introduction of the notion of energy.

That might not be the best answer, but it will give you a place to
start.

Start there and go back a few thousand years. Some guy named
Aristotle wrote about various subjects including _Physics_,
and I doubt the word was original with him.