Re: ENERGY WITH Q

Carl Mungan wrote in part:

. . .

HOW MUCH WORK DID THE BLOCK DO ON THE TABLE?

. . .

Only three people that I know about are allowed to choose both
answers: they are John M, Joel R, and Gene M. John D has lots of
support here:

I probably shouldn't ask, but how did the three of us get special
dispensation? I suppose it must have been those indulgences I bought a few
years ago. :-)

. . .
so are academic scholars. From this limited survey, we can say that
about 97% of all physicists are *hostile* to pseudowork. I chose the
highlighted word purposefully. As I have gone around my dept here at
the Academy for example, my colleagues tell me they not only don't
teach pseudowork, they believe it's a confusing, heretical term in
league with cold fusion, astrology, and such ilk.

Are they hostile the name or to the concept?

* center-of-mass work - this is a good and clear name but only
*after* the concept of center of mass has been discussed; not all
texts put this before the work chapter

Carl, does this mean you are part of the 3% who do like psuedo-work; but you
don't like the name, using various ones of three names you proffered
instead? If so, I agree, I like the concept but not the name. I have been
known to use "center-of-mass work" which is my vote for a name and needs to
be carefully distinguished from F dot ds.

* mechanical work - this name is somewhat misleading, but as a
contrast to thermodynamic work it has some merits

* just plain work - . . .