Re: MATH PHYSICS

Not much air resistance in an oil bath, I would have thought, Jack.

Could it be that it makes the sums work a little better?

Brian W

At 09:15 AM 11/27/01, you wrote:
You're missing low velocity viscous drag, as used in analyzing the
Millikan oil-drop experiment. See chapter 12 of "The Mechanical Universe"
(standard edition).
Regards,
Jack

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Brian Whatcott wrote:

> >David Abineri wrote:
> > >
> > > If one assumes that a projectile encounters an air resistance
> > > proportional to velocity, one can write a differential equation like
> > > mr''=-mgj - kr' which can be solved for r using an integrating factor
> > > e^(kt/m).
> > >
> > > The final solution for r, however, does not admit an interpretation for
> > > k=0. Why is it that one does not get the ideal case to come from this
> > > more general case when k=0?
> > >
> > > I hope that the question makes sense.
>

> Not to me. The assumption is unphysical, in my view.
> Cd is proportional to V^2 ??
> What am I missing, would you say?
>

> Brian Whatcott
> Altus OK Eureka!