Re: Catt anomaly?

At 05:46 AM 11/26/01, Antti Savinainen wrote:

>> when a pulse is sent down a simple cable (e.g. coaxial),
>> the edge of the electric field is moving at [local] c.

What is interesting to me is that according to Catt two experts in
electromagnetism gave different answers to his question. Catt writes
(<http://www.electromagnetism.demon.co.uk/w99anbk2.htm>):

"Consider the case when the battery and lamp are connected
by two very long
parallel wires, their length being 300,000 kilometres. When the switch is
closed, current will
flow immediately into the front end of the wires, but the lamp will not light
for the first second. A wave front travels forward between the wires at the
speed of light,
reaching the lamp after one second. This wave front comprises electric
current,
magnetic field, electric charge and electric field. Negative charge appears on
the surface
of the bottom wire. All of this is agreed by all experts...."

The question asked by the Catt Anomaly is where this charge on the bottom
conductor comes from, and the answers given to this elementary question are
contradictory, with the academic establishment split down the middle.
Half of the academics, led by McEwan, say that the charge comes from the
battery to the
west and
reaches its proper place along the bottom conductor without having to
travel at
the speed of light. The other half of the academics, led by Pepper, say
that it
is
impossible for the charge to come from the west because it would have to
travel
at the speed of light, resulting in the charge having infinite mass. Pepper
says that at the
moment when charge is needed to help the wave front along, it comes to the
surface of the wire from inside the wire, travelling at right angles to the
direction of the
wave front."

I guess that a surface charge theory (see for instance Chabay & Sherwood in
<http://cil.andrew.cmu.edu/rchabay_extra/mi_docs.html>) can account very fast
(but not c in vacuum) propagation of electric field in a conductor. But how?

Regards,

Antti Savinainen

If I recall, Catt is a maverick, who is in fact addressing a weakness
in physics teaching in this general area, leading to amusing nonsenses
like the instantaneous transmission of a pulse down a long line -
an instance that was discussed on this list within the last year or two.

It will be helpful to simplify the Catt puzzle to a ladder configuration
of a delay line
- namely four series inductors in each of two lines, connected by three
parallel capacitors, and terminated in a resistance of the value of the
characteristic impedence of the line.

He asks effectively: when a battery is connected to one end of a delay
line of this kind - where does the charge in the final capacitor come from?
Though electromagnetic transmission is inherently relativistic, I expect
one could provide a satifying description of an energy transfer between
magnetic
and electric modes, without taking oneself too seriously?

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!