Re: Catt anomaly?

If you mean c = 2.997.... wrong, an EM wave in a cable or wave guide
travels < c. Furthermore, the charges are not massive wrt the
frequencies used in such cables, etc.

for the characteristics of coaxial cables, etc.

http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~ee316/TxL4_5.pdf

off the top of my head, I don't think there is a pair of docs, but it is
a good problem to engender thought.

No doubt others on this list (experts) will add and correct me.

bc

P.s. I suspect the movement of charges has something to do with the < c
velocity. (N.B. the veloc. is a fcn. of the cap. and the resistivity,
among other factors.

Savinainen Antti wrote:

Hello,

I learnt from my ex-student in the University of Cambridge about the =
Catt anomaly. He wrote on 15th November 2001 (excerpt from http://www=
.bluesci.com/~rpaju/):

=94Tonight's evening lecture was at the Engineering Department, by Iv=
or Catt on the 'Catt Question' of electromagnetism. What he calls an =
anomaly, is a basic question about transmission lines: when a pulse i=
s sent down a simple cable (e.g. coaxial), the edge of the electric f=
ield is moving at c. Because field lines start and end on charges, th=
ere must be charges accumulating on the conductors as the field moves=
on. Where do the charges come from? The essential problem is that th=
e charges, which are massive, must be moving at c as well, which viol=
ates special relativity.=94

Catt explains his question and attempts to answer it in
<http://www.electromagnetism.demon.co.uk/w99anbk2.htm>.=20

I have no competence to decide if the Catt anomaly is a real problem =
or not. Any comments?

Regards,

Antti Savinainen
Kuopion Lyseo High School