Re: ENERGY WITH Q

Carl Mungan wrote: "Either heat is energy IN A SYSTEM or
it is energy IN TRANSIT from one system to another.

I am amazed that this issue is still prevalent: Why do otherwise
competent physicists continue to confuse themselves in this manner? In the
First Law, dE=Q+W, isn't it clear that E is energy and Q&W are things which
are done to change the level of energy of a system -- Why is that so
difficult to understand? Why do we continue to punish ourselves with the
following:

I recognize the problem. But, in my opinion, the discrepancy
is apparent, not real. It results from the use of the same symbol,
Q (and the word heat), for two DIFFERENT CONCEPTS.
To respect traditional terminology the Q of calorimetry should
be called heat and the W of mechanics (F*ds) should be called
work. Unfortunately, these two words are often redefined in
thermodynamics. Organized and disorganized "energies in
transfer," appearing in the First Law, are new concepts and
new words are needed for them. New symbols are also needed.

Call Q and W what you will, but isn't it clear that neither is
"energy"? After integrating F=ma, don't we call F*ds work and the
resultant integral of ma we call energy. Would somebody please explain to
me why the confusion arises -- I am sincerely and truly mystified.

And isn't it by now clear that the gross mechanism for W & Q is the same
action -- that the actions only differ in detail?

I think that I understand the argument -- I just don't understand why it
persists.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen