Re: Gain and Mechanical advantage confusions

Personally, I am confused by any reference to "gain" in this context. I
have found it useful to rely on the terms "mechanical advantage" and
"mechanical disadvantage". In a simple machine, e.g., a force advantage is
accompanied by a displacement disadvantage -- and the other way around.
Real machines might exploit either of these. The ideal mechanical advantage
comes from observing the geometry of the simple machine, while the actual
mechanical advantage comes from measuring the forces involved. All
advantage is given in ratio format, so it is possible to ask for a pulley
system with an Ideal Mechanical Advantage of 1.5 : 1 (without using half a
pulley, of course).

Tom Ford