Re: Elastic potential energy (repeat)

You are right, I misunderstood your terms; my relaxed position was x = +xo;
this, of course, explains the sign descrepancy and means that we were
pointing out identical features.

Joel Rauber

I suspect there may be some misunderstanding of terms. My "xo" is
intended to indicate how much the spring is *stretched* at the
arbitrarily chosen "reference position" and my "x" is a coordinate
with origin at the reference position that is positive in the
direction of *increasing* stretch. With these definitions, the
relaxed spring corresponds to x = -xo and the force equation is F
= -k(xo+x). The resulting equation has the desired features
1) that the potential energy is zero at the reference position and
2) that it recovers the usual formula (k/2)x^2 when the stretch
at the reference position is 0.