Re: Elastic potential energy

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Justin Parke wrote:

Consider an ideal spring attached to a wall and in a relaxed
state. Define x=0 to be the free end of the spring in this
relaxed state. The spring is then stretched so that the end
of the spring is at x1. Finally, it is stretched even further
so that the end of the spring is at x2. The difference in
elastic potential energy in the spring between those two
points is 1/2 k(x2^2 - x1^2).

Now consider the same spring stretched to the original x1.
We now define a new coordinate system whose origin coincides
with x1. The spring is stretched to x2 in the old coordinate
system which we now simply call x, so that x = x2-x1. The
difference in elastic potential energy between these two
points is now 1/k (x2 - x1)^2.

No, it is still (k/2)(x2^2 - x1^2) or, if you prefer (see below),
(k/2)x(x + 2x1). Do the required work integral and see.

... Does the relaxed position of the spring define a unique
origin for a spring or am I missing something here?

Not at all, but the correct equation for any choice of
the "reference stretch" xo is

elastic potential energy = (k/2)x(x + 2*xo)

This reduces to the familiar (k/2)x^2 with the convenient (but
not mandatory) choice, xo = 0.