Re: Voting on LIGHT (was energy with Q)

Jack Uretsky wrote regarding my question about the length or size of a photon:

I don't understand what you mean by the "size" of a photon. The
word "size" should imply a measurement of some sort.

My question may be simply a misdirected attempt to try and create a
synthetic model (wave+particle) for a photon in my own understanding. But
what I was referring to was the envelope that emerges as one combines waves
with slightly differing wavelengths, e.g., as one does in quantum mechanics.

Here is one way that you can't measure the size:
Shine a laser beam on an aperture with a shutter and put a photon
counter on the other side of the aperture. Open the shutter for some
time interval, and keep shortening the interval. If the photons had a
size L then there should be no clicks in the counter when the shutter is
open for times shorter that L/c.
The experimental result, I am assured, is that there is no time
interval so short that the beam cuts off. The click rate in the counter
just gets slower and slower as the time interval gets shorter and shorter.
The interpretation is that the shutter merely reduces the probability that
a photon gets through the aperture.

The problem with this experiment is that the shutter must be some sort of
mechanical device and thus it has a minimum speed at which it can close. So
one can only talk about a lower limit for the length of a photon (unless I
am not understanding the experiment). For example for a one-meter long
photon, the shutter would have to operate (open and close) in about a
nanosecond or less. Is this possible?

Richard Bowman
Dept. of Physics
Bridgewater College, Bridgewater, VA 22812 USA
http://www.bridgewater.edu/~rbowman/