Re: DBowman's Def 4

John, I don't doubt that this is quite true, but in my weakness I am
unable to calculate the S of such a system in the same manner that I am the
standard cylinder -- and show that dS=0. See the sketch on my web
page. -- I have already tried what you suggest, but.... . If you can post
such a derivation, you would have even greater admiration from me.

Jim

For instance, take a thermally isolated paramagnetic substance and
change the magnetic field slowly. Doing so alters the energy
levels of the spin states without altering their occupation
numbers and is, therefore, "pure" work. This is the basis of the
adiabatic demagnetizaion refrigerator. It is closely analogous to
the way that moving the piston slowly while thermally isolating
the gas alters the translational kinetic energy levels of the gas
without altering their occupation numbers. Again, "pure" work.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen