Re: Graphing d vs t

At 12:45 PM 11/12/01 -0500, Hugh Haskell wrote:
>...when
>graphing distance vs time, time was ALWAYS on the
>horizontal axis. I thought it depended upon what was
>being controlled. If I control time and measure distance,
>then time is on the horizontal axis but if I control
>distance and measure time than distance should be on
>the horizontal axis. Any thoughts?

. Since the usual thing you want from a d vs. t
graph is a slope that gives velocity, it makes sense to put time on
the horizontal axis. But in relativity and Feynman diagrams we
routinely put time on the vertical axis, because we are looking for
something other than the slope.

Students learn in middle school, and sometimes in their math classes
that there is something magic about always putting the "dependent
variable" on the vertical axis and the "independent variable" on the
horizontal. But often which variable is dependent and which is
independent is a function of which is easier to measure and which is
easier to choose, not any sort of causal reason. So I would say that
how you orient the graph depends on what use you intend to make of
it, rather than which variable is dependent and which is independent.

Hugh

I get a reassuring sense that Hugh speaks with a voice of quiet reason.
So it is a surprise to find I am with the middle school kids and agin him.

There is only one occasion I know of, when time is a function of something,
and that something is c In that case, I advocate time on the ordinate.

Elsewhere, most anything can only be a function of time, and I see
no great error (excepting the absolutism ) in offering that time occupies
the abscissa.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!