Re: ENERGY WITH Q PLEASE VOTE

Larry Smith wrote:

I don't necessarily think physics can be decided by democratic vote but
maybe definitions and conventions can (over time)

I agree with both parts of that.

How many think 1) heat is energy transfer due to temperature difference?

I vote against that, for reasons given in
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/thermo-laws.htm#sec-eschew-w+q

How many vote for 2) heat is internal energy or thermal energy?

Heat, when used as a noun, refers to thermal energy. That is _not_ the same
as internal energy. An object can have all sorts of nonthermal internal
energy.

How many vote for 3) heat is not a noun?

Not me. Heat is a noun. Always has been.

is it worth the trouble to change the freshman textbooks? My opinion is
that yes,

I agree that it would be good to make whatever changes are necessary so that
textbooks reflect real-world usage. Heat is used as a noun, in the technical
sense, by almost everyone. That includes blue-collar HVAC contractors, and
professional physicists who have won an all-expense-paid trip to Sweden for
their discoveries which hinged on building thermodynamical apparatus and
making thermodynamical observations.
http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1996/

it is worth the 100-year effort it will take to reform our usage if it is in
some sense
more correct or pedagogically preferable.

This will not take 100 years. Heat has been used as a noun, in the modern
technical sense, for about 200 years without interruption. The attempt to
make it not a noun is quite recent and never succeeded.

The folks who publish (and publish in) The Physical Review don't have a
problem with using heat as a noun. The query
http://www.google.com/search?q=heat+site%3Aaps.org
returns 4600 hits. Take a look. Count their votes.