Re: positive and negative work

On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, John S. Denker wrote:

There are innumerable idiosyncratic generalizations of the
notion of "work", but the assertion that they worth learning
is unproven and implausible.

I disagree. The "proof" stares us in the face *every* time phys-l
resurrects this thread: The reason they are worth learning (or at
least recognizing the existence of) is that we USE them
interchangeably without recognizing that they are NOT
interchangeable.

They are are an impediment (not an aid) to communication.

Au contraire. They are the only hope for communication.*

*Other than, perhaps, adopting your suggestion that we simply
never talk about work except in conjunction with point particles.