Re: positive and negative work

Joe Heafner wrote:

Let's pick ONE SINGLE CORRECT definition [of work].

Most introductory physics textbooks do this. Objects are modeled
as particles and work is F*ds (or torque*dAngle acting on a rigid
body). That is enough for the first course.

I did learn a lot from phys-L discussions, and from JohnM's article
about many kinds of works linked with potential energies. I am
glad we are discussing the topic again. But, in my opinion, "kinds
of work" should not be in the first physics course. How else can
the "less is more" be implemented?
Ludwik Kowalski