Re: positive and negative work

I think the key is "which students". If we're talking
about an introductory course, then maybe it IS worth
considering alternative explanations such as Scott
suggests that enhance, rather than inhibit, beginners'
(many of whom are still largely concrete thinkers)
understanding of concepts. That small percentage of
our students who go further in science and engineering
are, IMO, perfectly capable of later on making sense
of the language that defines a system's energy loss as
positive work done by the system or negative work done
on the system. Why do we saddle beginners with this
baggage when they're just trying to get the basics??
I've found that HS students can readily understand and
use energy changes to analyze situations without ever
having to describe the work as positive or negative.
John Barrere
--- Michael Edmiston <edmiston@BLUFFTON.EDU> wrote:
Scott Goelzer asks whether it is really important to
have students memorize
arbitrary sign conventions. In my response to this
I'm going to be a bit
sarcastic. I'm not picking on Scott because he is
asking an important
question that goes beyond physics.

I would answer this by saying it's not important,
don't bother to teach
students any arbitrary conventions. The only reason
we would need to
memorize arbitrary conventions would be if we ever
intended to communicate
clearly with other people. If we are only concerned
with understanding
things ourselves and we never intend to discuss our
understanding with other
people, then each of us can adopt whatever
conventions work for us. All
that each of us has to do is be internally
consistent, and we each can
figure out how the world works, right?

Don't limit your decision to quit teaching arbitrary
conventions to just +/-
signs on work and energy. Don't memorize any
arbitrary conventions. For
example, don't memorize colors. Heck, green is just
an arbitrary name we
give to the color that is traditionally used for
signaling cars to proceed
at a traffic light. If you personally want to call
that red, go right
ahead. But don't talk to my daughter (who is just
learning to drive)
because she is using a different convention for
colors, and if you tell her
she should proceed through the intersection when she
sees the light is red,
you're going to jeopardize my daughter's life (and
others as well). So go
have whatever color conventions you want, just don't
talk to my daughter.

All language conventions are arbitrary. Who needs
them? Only those people
who want to communicate with each other.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Phone/voice-mail: 419-358-3270
Professor of Chemistry & Physics FAX:
419-358-3323