Re: PC cams, astrophotography, and photomicroscopy (?)

At 08:05 PM 11/7/01 -0600, Glenn Carlson wrote:
I just want to share how you can easily and inexpensively (!!) attach a
$50 PC camera to a telescope or microscope.

I recently purchased a PC camera (Kensington VideoCAM SuperVGA). Their
website describes one person's experience capturing images from a
telescope using the PC cam.
(http://www.kensington.com/about/abo_1375.html).

I thought this was pretty slick, so, when I got home I tried to use the
camera to capture images using the microscope I bought my daughter last
Christmas. It worked great! I've temporarily posted two of the images
to my website (http://www.stchas.edu/faculty/gcarlson/pub/).
Illumination is provided by my desklamp.

///

Glenn A. Carlson
St. Charles Community College
St. Peters, MO
gcarlson@stchas.edu

Wonderfully empowering suggestion! In fact, the camera URL gives
a couple of nudges towards the possibilities of using a pro technique.
At the PC, use an image analysis code to select successive frames where
a guide star holds a set position, then integrate the contributions from
successive
exposures to pull out faint galaxies at high resolution. Oh yes!

For more background see
The Amateur Scientist, C.L Stong
"An Electronic Star-Twinkle Supressor"

Brian Whatcott