Re: Impulse

At 2:05 PM -0500 on 11/1/01, Scott Goelzer wrote
For the Star Trek fans, a good discussion topic is what exactly is special
about the "Impulse Engines" that propel the starship when it is not in
'warp' drive.

Are not all engines impulse engines?

All CURRENT technology engines may be impulse based. Warp drive (as
the name implies) works by deforming the 'fabric' of space (they seem
to ignore the time contribution).

The standard 'layman's explanation' is that a sheet of paper can be
gently folded over so that two distant points become very close.

Hey, sci. fi. is only PARTIALLY based on reality as we know it.
We are expected to take part in a certain 'suspension of disbelief'.
--