Re: Value of Homework

I have been used computer based (sort of a home grown Web Assign) system
that seems to make a good balance between requiring homework and being
bogged down by grading. I especially like a format where I give a series of
6-10 statements and ask the students to pick which ones are true and then
allowing them unlimited tries. This usually sparks quite a bit of
discussion since student's are often convinced that they "know" something
is true and will keep picking it. The computer also allows me to give each
student a different mix of problems so that the can discuss things together
but not just feed each other answers. We usually spend class time (no more
than 20-30 minutes I'd say) each week talking about the ones that were most
puzzling to the students.