Re: ENERGY WITH Q

At 09:01 AM 10/30/01 -0600, RAUBER, JOEL wrote:
But is it true that F dot ds_cm is Delta KE? Which I think
is the claim
Carl is making.

Good question.

At 09:35 AM 10/30/01 -0500, Bob Sciamanda wrote:
The integral of the net external force over the trajectory
of the system
CM will ALWAYS equal the system KE change.
See previous (1999?) list discussions.

1) Wrong answer.

Consider a flywheel, starting from rest. I spin the thing up
by applying
equal and opposite forces to opposite points on the rim. The
net force is
zero. The net force on the CM is certainly zero. The motion
of the CM is
zero. The net external force dotted on the trajectory of the
CM is zero
squared. Yet the kinetic energy increases.

Would it help (or is it true) to say:

But is it true that F_ext dot ds_cm + torque_ext times dtheta is Delta KE?
Where the external torque is measured relative to the cm.

Look, you can't do thermodynamics without entropy. You just
can't.

I didn't get the impression that Carl & Ludwik were trying to do
thermodynamics without entropy; but rather they were indicating a first step
on the journey through introductory thermodynamics & some relationships to
work-energy considerations. Presumably they will (in principle) have whole
other statements (monographs) where they will talk about the introduction of
entropy concepts into intro thermo. I assume everyone agrees that you can't
tell the whole story of thermodynamics without entropy.

Joel R.