Re: ENERGY WITH Q

At 10:07 PM 10/26/01 -0400, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

deltaU=Q+W (The First Law)

This is a bad idea for reasons discussed previously. See also
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/thermo-laws.htm#sec-eschew-w+q

where deltaU is a finite change in Esys while Q and W (with
appropriate signs, according to a convention) are heat and work.

Not according to any conventional definition of "heat" or "work".

Suppose I push a box along a floor with a rigid stick. Some
chemical energy is lost by my body while thermal energy is added
to the box and floor. The stick is not a thermal conductor, no
energy travels through the stick.

Huh? Energy must be travelling through the stick.

On the other hand, ... In [another] interpretation the mechanical energy
does travel through my non-conducting stick.

I should think so! This is the only reasonable interpretation.

If this is a correct then we should replace W by mechanical energy X
(deltaU=Q+X). In that context both Q and X flow except that no randomness is
involved in the rapid flow of X.

This is symptomatic of the impossibility of giving a consistent
interpretation to the W+Q equation.

The traditional First Law tells us that energy is conserved in
a closed system (U=constant). That is it.

If U=constant is the first law, call it the first law. Don't call the
deprecated W+Q equation the first law, as was done above.

In my opinion learning of physics (in an introductory course)
would be easier if the energy conservation idea was presented in
the spirit of Denis the Menace, as described by Feynman.

I agree.

Why do need W in the First Law?

Beats me.

The Second Law, I think, does not need it either.

I agree.