From: Carl E. Mungan [mailto:mungan@USNA.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 2:06 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: ENERGY WITH Q

1. I am not satisfied with merely getting a clear distinction between
thermal and nonthermal energy unless someone can also give me a clear
distinction between the mechanisms for *changing* each of these
(either separately or simultaneously, as long as you tell me how to
calculate how big the change in each term individually is). I posed
this question the other day and I have not seen an answer yet. Here
it is again. I stop a block with a string. No change in the block's
thermal energy occurs. Now I stop the block via sliding friction. The
block's thermal energy changes. Why does friction change the thermal
energy of an object but tension does not (in these particular
situations)? Give me an algorithm for deciding how a particular force
changes the thermal energy, in other words, for partitioning the
changes in the two terms on the RHS of the First Law (which I usually
call mechanical and internal energy, but would not necessarily be
adverse to calling nonthermal and thermal energy).