Re: Obnoxious Student

Tina writes:
I have a student in one of my classes that is a smart-aleck. Which
isn't a bad thing but she is starting to make cracks and stuff during
class and has started becoming a distraction to other students.

Ideas on how to handle her?

Clear Skies
Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College

Based on where you teach, I'd remind her that she's not in high school any
more. Make it clear that adult behavior is expected of those who wish to be
treated as adults. I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that even at the
community college level there are disciplinary sanctions available for
students whose behavior falls outside of expected norms, probably
administered by a "dean of students" - bring her behavior to their attention
if the student does not correct her behavior.

"It's the best possible time to be alive,
when almost everything you thought you knew
is wrong."
Spoken by Valentine,
in the play Arcadia, by Tom Stoppard
George Spagna