Re: Pendulum acceleration

Date sent: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:35:53 -0400
From: Tom Ford <tomford@THESCIENCESOURCE.COM>
Subject: Re: Pendulum acceleration
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Send reply to: "phys-l@lists.nau.edu: Forum for Physics Educators"
<PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>

Tim,

Use a liquid-filled accelerometer of the PSSC variety which
is mounted by two strings that will remain parallel as the
unit swings as a pendulum. Notice that the accelerometer
reads zero at the bottom and is a max (towards the
equilibrium position) at each extreme of the swing. The
accelerometer remains horizontal at all times. Then bring
the (bifilar) two strings together at the support. Notice
that now the accelerometer reads zero at all points of the
swing with the reading being taken tangent to the path. A
real classroom crowd-pleaser. This is much easier to
construct that making a curved air track with an
accelerometer on the glider (as was actually demonstrated
for me by the inventor of the popular form of air track,
John Stull).

Tom Ford
Tom,
Thanks for this suggestion - this I can do.
Thanks to all the others for their help.
It seemed like an innocent enough question when I wrote
it for my physics class for elementary teachers, but I see
it is more complex then I first thought. I will discard this
quetion on the test.
Tim
Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur