Re: Tide article

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Jim Green wrote:

John, that is interesting because as one gets closer to Alaskan waters the
tides don't act "normally" ie the same as on the West Coast -- as if the

West Coast were normal. A high water prediction variation of +- ~2hr
doesn't surprise me. But the much better synchronization of the Spring
Tide/Neap Tide is unusual as far as I know. I would be interested to know
what the synchronization is over several months ---

The tide races North along the West Coast and slows down near Puget Sound
and then creeps across the Alaskan Shore. Besides this the tides may
resonate very differently in the Sound. Interesting.

Our tide clock was purchased in Los Angeles; it was not made "for"
any particular location. Indeed, as I pointed out, the hand
completes two cycles each "mean lunar day" which is not a function
of location. Also as I mentioned, the clock keeps excellent *long
term* track of the tides. To expand on what I said before, there
are seasonal as well as biweekly variations that drive the tidal
extremes temporarily away from the specific times predicted by the
clock. But if the clock is, for instance, set to properly predict
spring tides in July, it will be found to properly predict spring
tides *every* July for years on end (as long as the timing
mechanism functions properly and the batteries don't die.)