Re: Tide article

Here's the thing, Jim:
are you proposing that there is no correlation between the lunar
cycle (wrt Earth) and the tidal cycle, or are you proposing there is no
correlation between the Lunar position and the tidal phase?

I see your point.

The ocean tides are coupled driven damped harmonic oscillations of many
ocean basins and various seas -- large and small. There are several tens
of driving frequencies which produce many tidal components -- the NewZeland
site says that they consider some 700!!! NOAA usually considers some 70.

The end result is that there is not much correlation between the _several_
Moon frequencies and local tidal frequency ie high water does not occur at
a constant regular interval -- I would like to say "anywhere" but I
don't really know that that is precisely true.
The NewZeland site plots the main Moon component, M2.

However, in addition to the above, you are quite correct that there is --
again I would like to say "never" -- a correlation of the position of the
Moon with local high water.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen