Re: [Fwd: Re: LoggerPro problems with Macs G-3s?]

Right, thank you.

I use the 'phone, as is a small co. one can obtain individual assistance!
(They're going to hate me now?) I hadn't discussed the mem. problem, as, I
think, I've solved it myself. A bug I've discovered, it always happens, is,
if one opens GA by double clicking on a GA file it opens, etc. OK, but if GA is
already resident it quits!!!! This is diff. behavior from all the other apps.
I have.

bc

P.s. All they have to do is document it, and it'll be a feature!
P.p.s. They are also working on a new version of GA -- I hope they add
weighting (1/var.) to the fit program as I've requested. Then they can begin
to compete with Kaleidograph. In a few important respects I prefer GA, not
only for the price!

Kossom wrote:

First, I presume you emailed the folks at Vernier? I visited their offices
over the summer and they seemed to have Logger Pro running on every Mac ever
made. Further, they were working on an upgrade to their software while I was
there. They said it should be ready by Christmas.

Second, yes, the Logger Pro can only collect a limited amount of data at a
time.

Dave Vernier can probably explain this better, but it is really a two part
problem. The first is that the old serial connection which both the LP and
Pasco boxes used is really too slow to take a large amount of data rapidly.
So, the interface boxes had to take the data and then transfer it the
computer. You could see some of the data "live" but it was a subset of all
the data. Although USB is faster, it is interruptable, meaning that the OS
can ask the device to stop sending data and some sort of buffer is needed.
The much more expensive Pasco 750 interfacees use a SCSI connection which
seems to allow better data gathering.

The other problem is synchronizing the time very precisely between the data
collection, especially of multiple probes. I believe that an internal clock
helps to keep the data paired relatively precisely with the time.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover