From: John S. Denker [mailto:jsd@MONMOUTH.COM]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 3:50 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: operational F, m, and a

I gather, since you haven't objected yet,
that you agree that there is an
implicit (usually quite explicit) velocity measurement in
the use of the
fish-scale. Of course, a velocity measurement isn't an acceleration
measurement.

I'm baffled here. I don't see any relevant velocity
measurement (or any
relevant acceleration measurement). Velocities and
accelerations may exist
as nuisances, but they are easily dealt with.

That makes two of us who are baffled :-)

I see a very relevant and necessary velocity measurement.

In order to use the fish scale, to make a reading or determination (e.g with
the one tick mark primary standard you developed in another post) You must
first make a velocity measurement (determination) that the velocity of the
pointer relative to the tick marks is indeed zero. I don't think this is a
nuisance measurement, it seems to me that it is a required measurement and
therefore fundamental to the operation of such a device.

If I measure the velocity to not be zero (usually done visually and by
casual inspection, but *done none-the-less*); I don't take a reading. I
wait until that measurement becomes zero, (this indicates that the scale has
settled down into equilibrium. It strikes me that this is fundamental to an
equilibrium measurement; how else can I know that equilibrium has been
achieved without making this velocity measurement?).