Re: arbitrary choice of zero of potential

At 10:55 AM 10/18/01 -0700, John Mallinckrodt wrote:

Consider a pair of electrons each with mass m (in the generally
well understood sense of the "mass of an electron") that are
released at rest from an initial separation along the x-axis that
is specifically chosen so that each electron will approach an
asymptotic kinetic energy equal to m (in units where c = 1) as
they separate to large distances. For the purpose of this
problem, I would like to effectively "turn off" the EM radiation
that would accompany this process so that we need not concern
ourselves with accounting for it.

1. What is the initial momenergy four-vector, P = [E,px,py,pz],
for either one of the two electrons?

p = [m, 0, 0, 0] in the obvious units.

2. How did you obtain the answer given in 1?

p = m v
where v = [1, 0, 0, 0] since the electron was
specified to be at rest.

3. What is the initial momenergy four-vector, P = [E,px,py,pz],
for the two electron system?

I take this to be a question about the
two-electrons-PLUS-FIELDS system, in which case
the system 4-momentum is
p = m [2 sqrt(2), 0, 0, 0]

4. How did you obtain the answer given in 3?

Working backwards from answer 5.
Neglecting radiation as requested.

5. What is the (asymptotically-approached) final momenergy
four-vector for the single electron that is moving in the +x
direction?

p = m [sqrt(2), 1, 0, 0]

6. How did you obtain the answer given in 5?

I interpreted the specification KE=m to mean p_x=m.
Then calculate p_t from p_x to preserve |p|=m.

Note: If the intended meaning was otherwise, then answer 5
might become p=m[2, sqrt(3), 0, 0] or some such,
in which case you have to calculate p_x from p_t,
but it doesn't change the ideas much.

7. What is the (asymptotically-approached) final momenergy
four-vector for the two electron system?

p = m [2 sqrt(2), 0, 0, 0]

8. How did you obtain the answer given in 7?

From item 5 by addition of 4-vectors.

9. How much of the system energy given in the answer to 3 is
interaction energy?

41%

10. How did you obtain the answer given in 9?

2 sqrt(2) is 141% of 2

Note that all the aforegoing questions and answers are gauge-independent.
The asymptotic potential could be 1,234,567 volts and it would make any
difference.