Re: value of g in black holes

I'm teaching a course on black holes this semester using
the new excellent new intro text by Taylor and Wheeler
("Exploring Black Holes"). One of the exercises involves
calculating the local acceleration of gravity for someone
standing on a shell of reduced circumference R surrounding
a nonspinning, spherical black hole of mass M. The answer
turns out to be

g = (M/R^2) / sqrt(1 - 2M/R)

with M and R expressed in meters and g in units of inverse
meters. (For reference, the sun's mass in meters is 1470 m
and the local acceleration of gravity at the earth's surface
is about 10^-16 inverse meters).
Anyway, you can see from the formula that in the limit
R --> 2M (at the event horizon) the local value of g
approaches infinity, irrespective of the mass of the black
hole.
Perhaps John M., in speaking of a "completely
negligible" value of g at the event horizon of a very
massive black hole, is referring to relative tidal
accelerations for an observer radially plunging into
the black hole.

Vic DeCarlo
DePauw University