String Theory and Gravity

I am not a String theorists by any means, but I was
examing the idea that for string theory to work there has
to be 11 dimensions (most of them compacted in a small
space - is my understanding). But with the little work I
was doing, one of the conditions I set was that gravity was
strictly an attractive force, otherwise my work completely
falls apart. Does any one know if that is a real condition
of string theory? Also I had in the compacted dimensions
moving in time in two and three directions (what ever
that might mean) like we move though space in two or
three directions.

Any thoughts?