Re: value of g in black holes

Dwight asked:

I'm currently going over gravitational forces and acceleration
with my first
year physics students. Of course, one of the topics that the students' had
brought up were black holes. One of the questions, I didn't know
and haven't been
able to find the answer...so I'm coming to the experts! :) What must be the
value of g (in m/s/s) so that a "black hole" would form?

Since no one else answered, I toss out the following. It's not GR so
it's probably wrong (I'm no expert), but at least it's digestible by
first-year students:

escape velocity c = sqrt(2GM/R) where M and R are mass and radius of black hole

g = GM/R^2

Solve first equation for R, plug into second.
Minimum mass of black hole is 3 solar masses. Maximum mass of known
stars is something like 30 solar masses.

Hence, we find that g can range from about 0.5 to 5 in units of
Tm/s^2. This is the value of g at the event horizon *after* the black
hole has formed.

If you instead wanted the value of g *before* formation, then replace
the first equation above with the fact that stellar radius is
approximately linearly proportional to stellar mass (eg. Chaisson &
McMillan "Astronomy Today" Fig. 17.22). So we have something like R =
M (both in solar units). Hence g varies from about g_sun/30 to
g_sun/3, which turns out to be about 1 to 10 g_earth.

HTH, Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026