Re: operational F, m, and a

Hi all-
In general I agree with Michael. But-
I think that he is confusing the definition of units, where any
agreed upon standard is acceptable - just name your standard - with the
definition of a concept, as Denker has already made abundantly clear.
The SI definition of the unit of force (the Newton), is the force
needed to accelerate a Kg of mass by 1 m/s^{2}. So, given a concept of
force the SI definition tells me how to calibrate that concept. Given
a set of masses and a standard mass and gravitational location
I can independently develop a concept of force without acceleration being
involved because I make only equilibrium measurements (ala Sommerfeld).
Then F=dp/dt is a non=trivial equality between two separately measured
entities.
There are other ways of proceeding but each one must, in the
last analysis, involve a testing of the validity of N2 (which must, of
course, fail in certain limiting conditions).
Regards,
Jack