Re: operational F, m, and a

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Michael Edmiston wrote:

John Denker says that the unit of force is not the same thing as the concept
of force. I suppose that is true. But it is interesting that John would
use these words to distinguish that F=ma cannot be used to define the
"concept of force" because that is exactly what is done at the Swedish
National Testing and Research Institute which I referenced in my previous
post. They actually have a web page titled "The concept of force" and they
use F=ma to define/describe the concept of force... using those words. The
URL is:

http://www.sp.se/metrology/force/eng/concept.htm

I suppose just because they say so doesn't make it so, but institutes like
this are more of an authority than any one of us in this discussion.

I try to teach my students that argument by authority
is VERBOTEN!!!!!!
Regards,
Jack

--
Franz Kafka's novels and novella's are so Kafkaesque that one has to
wonder at the enormity of coincidence required to have produced a writer